High rise residents displaced by electrical fire in Toronto’s west end
Firefighters Contain Blaze in Toronto High-Rise
Firefighters contain the blaze that broke out on the 12th floor of an apartment building near Rusholme Road and Bloor Street West.
No one was injured after an apparent electrical fire broke out in a 16 storey high rise on Sunday afternoon in Toronto’s west end, according to Toronto Fire Services.
The fire started around 3 p.m. on the 12th floor of an apartment building near Rusholme Road and Bloor Street West, and quickly spread to the 13th and 14th floors. Smoke and flames could be seen from several blocks away.
Firefighters arrived on the scene and managed to contain the fire by 5 p.m., preventing it from reaching the upper floors. They also evacuated some residents from the building, while others were asked to shelter in place.
Deputy Fire Chief Jim Jessop told reporters at the scene on Sunday evening that the fire was likely caused by an electrical malfunction, but the exact cause will be investigated by the Office of the Fire Marshal.
The Impact on the Residents and the Building
Residents in 267 units were affected by the fire, as there was no power in the building and Toronto Hydro was still assessing the situation, according to Toronto fire. Toronto Transit Commission buses were on scene to temporarily shelter tenants who could not return to their units.
Jessop said that some residents may be able to go back to their units once the power is restored, but others may have to find alternative accommodations for a longer period of time, depending on the extent of the damage.
He also said that the building had working smoke alarms and sprinklers, which helped to alert the residents and control the fire. He praised the firefighters for their quick and professional response, as well as the residents for their cooperation and patience.
Tips for Preventing Electrical Fires
Electrical fires are one of the most common causes of fires in residential settings, and they can be prevented by following some safety tips:
- Check your electrical wiring regularly and replace any damaged or frayed cords or plugs.
- Avoid overloading your circuits or extension cords with too many appliances or devices.
- Use proper outlets and switches that are compatible with your electrical system and appliances.
- Keep flammable materials away from heat sources such as lamps, heaters, or wires.
- Install smoke alarms and test them monthly. Have a fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it.
Subscribe to BNN Breaking
Sign up for our daily newsletter covering global breaking news around the world.