A Thai model, known only by her pseudonym 'Jim', experienced a harrowing ordeal during a traditional Thai heat therapy session, Phao Ya, resulting in severe burns. The therapy, which involves burning herbs on the abdomen to enhance digestion, took an alarming turn when a nurse ignited the herb mixture on Jim's stomach with a candle lighter.
Unforeseen Peril in Traditional Therapy
Jim, initially comfortable as she lay on the bed with a towel and the herb concoction on her abdomen, suddenly found herself in a life-threatening situation. The flames from the herbs quickly spread to her clothes and the plastic sheet underneath, engulfing her skin. A video captured her writhing and screaming in agony as the fire spread across her back within moments.
Chaos and Inaction
One nurse held Jim's hands in panic, while another attempted to extinguish the flames with a blanket, then a pillow. Shockingly, the doctor retreated to a corner, leaving the assistant and Jim's friend to combat the blaze. Using pillows, they eventually gained control of the fire.
Aftermath and Legal Action
Following the incident, Jim lodged a complaint with the Thai Ministry of Health on December 4th. She articulated her intense pain and the potential impact on her career. Already undergoing treatment for third-degree burns and blisters across her back and abdomen, Jim faces a recovery period of two months before she can return to work. This incident marks the first complaint about the Phao Ya therapy, a practice combining cauterization with acupuncture to aid digestion, received by the Thai Ministry of Health.