In a tragic event at Caritas Medical Centre, a 79-year-old male patient lost his life owing to a medical error during his transfer from the ophthalmology ward to the intensive care unit (ICU). The valve on the oxygen cylinder that was to support the patient during his transfer was not opened, leading to the patient's need for emergency intubation and, subsequently, his death.
Unanswered Questions and Hospital's Stance
During a press conference held today, the hospital chose not to disclose crucial details. Questions pertaining to the rank of the medical staff responsible for the mishap and their current employment status were left unanswered. The hospital only confirmed that the team consisted of three medical staff members, each with over a decade of experience, and that some are still serving at the hospital.
Reforms and Measures Post Incident
The hospital announced that new oxygen cylinders have been arranged. However, it stressed that these improvements were not exclusively due to the incident. A reminder of the correct procedures of using oxygen cylinders has been circulated among the staff as a part of the measures taken to prevent such mistakes in the future.
A Brief on the Patient's Medical History
The patient had a history of chronic illnesses, including a gastric ulcer about 30 years ago and recent surgery for intestinal gas. He was admitted to the hospital for cataract surgery and had reported feeling nauseous before admission. On November 28, he complained of abdominal pain and his condition worsened the following day, leading to the decision to transfer him to the ICU. His demise occurred on the same day after the oxygen supply issue was discovered upon his arrival at the ICU.
Investigation and Inquiry Underway
The hospital is currently under investigation by the Coroner's Court and an inquiry committee. The incident has sparked a debate on the need for more stringent checks and protocols in hospitals to ensure such fatal errors are not repeated.