Unholy Arms: Ukraine Cleric’s Detention Sheds Light on Illicit Weapon Trade
Arrest of an Unlikely Suspect
In a startling revelation, a clergyman has been arrested in Ukraine under the suspicion of engaging in illegal arms trading. This operation, as per the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), involved smuggling weapons from the conflict-ridden zones in eastern Ukraine into the country’s peaceful territories for subsequent sale.
The Seized Cache of Weapons
In the course of their search of the detained cleric’s residence, the SBU reported the discovery and seizure of a substantial cache of weapons. The arsenal included antitank grenade launchers, machine guns, assault rifles, and a considerable quantity of ammunition.
Link to the Moscow Patriarchate’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church
The arrested cleric is a part of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC), currently under the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church. The association of the UOC with the detained cleric and the alleged illegal activities has sparked several questions. The cleric’s alleged involvement in the smuggling of weapons from the conflict zones of Donetsk and Luhansk regions further complicates the matter.
Others in the Net
Alongside the cleric, the SBU has detained several other individuals allegedly connected to this illegal arms trade. The suspects reportedly used various covert methods to transport the weapons, including concealing them in food shipments. Some of these individuals are believed to be associated with armed groups that are battling against the Ukrainian government in the eastern regions of the country.
The Ongoing Investigation
The SBU’s investigation into this matter is still ongoing, and it is expected that more details about the extent and nature of this illegal arms trade will emerge. The involvement of a cleric in such activities and potential association with the Russian Orthodox Church raises serious questions and concerns.
- A cleric from the Moscow Patriarchate’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church has been arrested in Ukraine under suspicion of involvement in an illegal arms trading operation.
- The operation reportedly involved smuggling weapons from the conflict zones in eastern Ukraine into the country’s peaceful territories for subsequent sale.
- The Security Service of Ukraine seized a substantial cache of weapons during a search of the cleric’s residence.
- Several other individuals linked to this illegal arms trade have been detained by the SBU.
- The investigation is ongoing, and more details about the illegal arms trade are expected to emerge. The involvement of a cleric in such activities and the potential connection with the Russian Orthodox Church raises serious questions.
Subscribe to BNN Breaking
Sign up for our daily newsletter covering global breaking news around the world.